[Dovecot] Delivery notifications

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Thu Jul 24 19:09:33 EEST 2008

on 7-24-2008 9:03 AM Brandon Keepers spake the following:
> I'm working on an application that is backed by Postfix 2.3.8 and
> Dovecot 1.0.13, configured with virtual domains, for handling messaging.
>
> I need to be able to send the notification (such as "You've received a
> new message on SomeAwesomeService. Click here to check it out", It's
> evil, I know) to a different email address, such as a mobile device.
> Eventually, we want to do other things like clear web page caches when a
> message is received, or sending IM notifications, but that's for another
> day.
>
> So basically, we want to notify our application whenever a new mail is
> received, and it can do all the magical things that it needs to do.
>
> I was hoping to get some feedback on the different approaches I'm
> looking at. From what I can tell, there's not a way to deliver to
> multiple virtual transports in postfix, so here's the options I see:
>
> * Content filter
> I could set up a "content filter" that just delivers the mail to the
> application, and then re-injects it back into postfix. This seems like
> more work than the other options just because I have to worry about
> re-injecting the message
>
> * Intercept delivery
> Replace the dovecot deliver command with a custom one that calls the
> dovecot deliver and then passes the message on to the application.  I've
> written a little proof of concept for this and it seems to work, but
> just seem shady.
>
> * Sieve
> Dovecot supports Sieve, so I could just have a global sieve script that
> sends the notifications.  This is definitely the solution I'm leaning
> towards.
>
> Are there any better options? Do you think this will have a significant
> impact on performance? Am I crazy?
>
> Thanks,
> Brandon
In my opinion (which is worth every penny you didn't pay for it) If I want
notices of my new messages on a phone or other mobile device, I might as well
just get the message sent or copied there.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and