[Dovecot] Problems with deliver and account resolving

Andreas Podgurski Andreas.Podgurski at gmx.de
Tue Jul 22 03:04:19 EEST 2008

Hi!
I'm currently setting up my first mailsystem based on dovecot. For a far way, working with dovecot was very convenient, but after I had to integrate deliver, it became massivly painful. My components are postfix as MTA, postgresql as user database and dovecot as IMAP server. When translating the mail adresse into the account name, something goes terribly wrong (Mail adresses modified to protect against spam, think about them in correct format):

dovecot: Jul 22 01:48:13 Info: auth(default-listen): master in: USER    1       Andreas.Podgurski_at_MediaGUILD.de service=deliver
dovecot: Jul 22 01:48:13 Info: auth(default-listen): prefetch(Andreas.Podgurski_at_MediaGUILD.de): passdb didn't return userdb entries, trying the next userdb
dovecot: Jul 22 01:48:13 Info: auth(default-listen): sql(Andreas.Podgurski_at_MediaGUILD.de): SELECT 1011 AS uid,1011 AS gid,'/var/www/jade/mail/' || admin.username AS home,admin.username AS user FROM admin,email WHERE lower(email.local_address) = lower('Andreas.Podgurski') AND email.receiver = admin.id;
dovecot: Jul 22 01:48:13 Info: auth(default-listen): auth(Andreas.Podgurski_at_MediaGUILD.de): username changed Andreas.Podgurski_at_MediaGUILD.de -> SunAdmin
dovecot: Jul 22 01:48:13 Info: auth(default-listen): master out: USER   1       SunAdmin        uid=1011        gid=1011        home=/var/www/jade/mail/SunAdmin
deliver(Andreas.Podgurski_at_MediaGUILD.de): Jul 22 01:48:13 Error: mkdir(/var/www/jade/mail/Andreas.Podgurski_at_MediaGUILD.de/cur) failed: Permission denied
deliver(Andreas.Podgurski_at_MediaGUILD.de): Jul 22 01:48:13 Info: msgid=<20080721234813.302260 at gmx.net>: save failed to INBOX: Internal error occurred. Refer to server log for more information. [2008-07-22 01:48:13]

As you can see, the account SunAdmin has an email adresse andreas.podgurski_at_mediaguild.de assigned. The database seems to reveil the username correctly, but after that, deliver continues to use the original mail adresse, not the account name returned by the auth master. Any idea, where my solution went the wrong way? The uid/gid belong to vmail:vmail, which is used for the auth-master, as well as for running deliver and to dispatch the postfix messages.
Btw., I ask myself, how dovecot can assume to use prefetch in this case, as prefetch bases upon the password query, which has to fail in this case, as there is no password. Shouldn't it not even try to use the prefetch values there...?

Thanks in advance,
Andreas Podgurski