[Dovecot] Upgrade to 1.1 maildir & shared folders problems

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Jul 20 22:01:46 EEST 2008

On Mon, 2008-07-07 at 10:22 +0300, sami at medusa.tutka.fi wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 sami at medusa.tutka.fi wrote:
>

> > Seems to be quota plugin related, i removed the plugin and i could log on
> > with a new user that did not have a maildir yet.
> >
> > When we upgraded to 1.1 i enabled the quota plugin witch i forgot to
> > mention (sorry) since it was working nicely and reporting the quota to the
> > users. quota is from a netapp filer that we use over nfs, any idea if we
> > can make this work? later we will change to dovecots deliver and use it's
> > quota, but mean time it would be nice for the users to see their quota
> > directly from the mail client.
>
> This seems to happen also on local filesystem, if quota plugin is enabled
> as fs: users that do not have maildirs cannot login and the crash happens,
> any possibility for a fix?;)

It crashes because it can't find where the filesystem is mounted at. I
don't know why that would happen, but I fixed the crash anyway:
http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-1.1/rev/5659ce2398e4

> > > Do you use SELinux or something like that? "Operation not permitted" is
> > > not the same as "Permission denied" which comes with normal filesystem
> > > permission problems.

Oh, right, the real error is that it tries to change the file's group to
one that the user doesn't belong to. So you probably have dovecot-shared
file which has a wrong group.

> I tested this more and it seems that the dovecot-acl-list file is created
> with permission only to the current user:
>

> -rw------- 1 1002 sami   55 2008-07-07 09:40 dovecot-acl-list

This file should be created using the same permissions as the mailbox
root directory, which I guess in your case would be /var/mail/jaetut.
Anyway I wrote a patch to help find out this when mail_debug=yes:
http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-1.1/rev/4e3e73ff1b92

> So i manualy added rw permission to everyone and it seems to be working,
> the uid on the file changes everytime someone logs on, but the permissions
> seem to be sticking to it, any reason why dovecot would remove the file at
> anypoint and re-create it with the "wrong" permissions?

The file (as well as many other files created by Dovecot) is updated by
recreating it.