[Dovecot] No log for hitting login_max_processes_count?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Jul 20 19:19:13 EEST 2008

On Mon, 2008-06-30 at 11:49 -0400, Adam McDougall wrote:
> I think today just due to increased use, my mail servers hit
> login_max_processes_count.  It wasn't obvious what was happening, logins
> just weren't acting like they should and sometimes would get
> disconnected before given a prompt from the server.  Something made me
> think to check if I had too many of certain dovecot processes and I
> found I had 128 imap-login processes on both servers, but nothing in the
> logs seemed to point that out for me.  Should there be?  It would have
> been alot easier to debug.  Also, this seems to be from general use,
> doesn't seem like a DoS, so is this just a setting I should keep an eye
> on and increase it by reasonable amounts as needed?  Thanks.

That should probably redesigned at some point.. The setting should
probably only control how many processes there should be with users that
haven't logged in, so (SSL) proxying processes shouldn't be counted.. Or
perhaps a different setting should limit them.

And you're right that it doesn't currently log anything if all of the
processes are in use. Hmm. This is a bit difficult to solve currently. I
think I'll just leave it for the master rewrite, which should make it
easier. :)

Anyway setting login_process_per_connection=no would make it work better
and probably also log something if limits are reached.
http://wiki.dovecot.org/LoginProcess