[Dovecot] Mails "invisible" (index corrupted?)

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Jul 20 17:08:27 EEST 2008

On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 16:43 +0800, Patrick Nagel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I got a complaint from a user today, that a few mails "disappeared" from her
> Inbox, both when accessing via IMAP with Thunderbird and in the IMAP Webmail
> client (RoundCube Webmail, caching deactivated).
>
> Searching (in Subject or From header) within the Inbox turned up the missing
> messages though.

If they're found when searching via Dovecot, then Dovecot sees them..

> After checking all relevant client settings (filter rules etc.), restarting
> Thunderbird multiple times, etc., I tried deleting her dovecot.index.cache
> file, restarting Thunderbird again, but that didn't change anything.
> Only after deleting dovecot.index.*, everything went back to normal. I can't
> find anything useful in the log.

"dovecot.index.*"? Does that mean dovecot.index.log* or also
dovecot.index? You did leave dovecot-uidlist alone anyway?

> Any hints on what could have caused this? Where to look?

Looking at the actual IMAP traffic would/should have shown what the
problem was. For example using rawlog:
http://wiki.dovecot.org/Debugging/Rawlog

> I backed up
> dovecot.index, dovecot.index.cache and dovecot.index.log before I deleted
> them, but they probably contain sensitive information, so I won't post them
> to the list.

Only dovecot.index.cache contains sensitive information. I could take a
look at dovecot.index and dovecot.index.log, but I doubt they show
anything useful.