[Dovecot] Mails "invisible" (index corrupted?)

Patrick Nagel patrick.nagel at star-group.net
Wed Jul 16 11:43:40 EEST 2008

Hi,

I got a complaint from a user today, that a few mails "disappeared" from her
Inbox, both when accessing via IMAP with Thunderbird and in the IMAP Webmail
client (RoundCube Webmail, caching deactivated).

Searching (in Subject or From header) within the Inbox turned up the missing
messages though.

After checking all relevant client settings (filter rules etc.), restarting
Thunderbird multiple times, etc., I tried deleting her dovecot.index.cache
file, restarting Thunderbird again, but that didn't change anything.
Only after deleting dovecot.index.*, everything went back to normal. I can't
find anything useful in the log.

Setup: x86, CentOS Linux, dovecot 1.1.1 (current stable binary from ATrpms),
maildir storage, mail_debug is turned on

Any hints on what could have caused this? Where to look? I backed up
dovecot.index, dovecot.index.cache and dovecot.index.log before I deleted
them, but they probably contain sensitive information, so I won't post them
to the list.

Thanks,
Patrick.

--
STAR Software (Shanghai) Co., Ltd.            http://www.star-group.net/
Phone:    +86 (21) 3462 7688 x 826             Fax:   +86 (21) 3462 7779

PGP key:         https://stshacom1.star-china.net/keys/patrick_nagel.asc
Fingerprint:           E09A D65E 855F B334 E5C3 5386 EF23 20FC E883 A005