[Dovecot] Postfix+maildrop+deliver?

Tom Fernandes anyaddress at gmx.net
Wed Jul 16 00:15:11 EEST 2008

Hi,

On Tuesday, 15. July 2008, mouss wrote:
> Tom Fernandes wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I currently use procmail without the deliver LDA but would like to switch
> > to using deliver. I also would like to get away from procmail for various
> > reasons. Otherwise I could use the procmail-patch from
> >
> > http://dovecot.org/pipermail/dovecot/2006-July/014656.html
> >
> > AFAICS.
> >
> > I don't want to use sieve because it's too limited
>
> one thing I'm lacking is variable expansion, something like:
>
> if header matches foostring-(.*), then deliver in folder bar.$1.

like in e.g. automatic folder creation for MLs - yup - makes sense.

> > and can't see a similar
> > patch like the one for procmail available for maildrop.
>
> why would you need such a patch for maildrop?
>
> > What setup would I use for Postfix+maildrop+deliver?
>
> you can build maildrop without authlib if you don't want authdaemon.
>
> if you mailstore is "static/simple", you can then deliver directly with
> maildrop.
>
> Otherwise, use the -m flag to specify the target folder.

yup - as I'm using maildir, deliver only really helps for huge mailboxes.

I did some experiments, read maildropfiter(5) a bit and found out that with
the "to" statement you can deliver to an external program via a pipe which
will be "deliver" in my case. That works so far.

This is really cool :) !

thanks for the hint - I somehow thought it wasn't possible that easily,

Tom