[Dovecot] "check pass; user unknown"

Zsombor mogorva at tuxworx.hu
Wed Jul 9 09:57:47 EEST 2008

Hi,

I'm using dovecot v1.0.rc15 (from debian etch) and I have some performance problems.

Every time I log in I see the following in the mail log:

----
Jul  8 21:05:31 myserver dovecot-auth: (pam_unix) check pass; user unknown
Jul  8 21:05:31 myserver dovecot-auth: (pam_unix) authentication failure; logname=uid=0 euid=0
tty=dovecot ruser= rhost=127.0.0.1
Jul  8 21:05:33 myserver dovecot: imap-login: Login: user=<mogorva at mydomain.hu>,method=PLAIN,
rip=127.0.0.1, lip=127.0.0.1, secured
Jul  8 21:05:33 myserver dovecot: IMAP(mogorva at mydomain.hu): Disconnected: Logged out
----

It doesn't matter if I use Squirrelmail or Thunderbird (as POP3 client), the first try is always
empty username and password so it slows down terribly every action.

What's more I'm using postgres authentication and there are no local system users.
This problem didn't come out with previous version of dovecot.

Thank you in advance,
zs-