[Dovecot] imap and vpopmail: per-domain auth

Francesco Abeni f.abeni at gibilogic.com
Tue Jul 8 14:48:17 EEST 2008

Alessio Cecchi ha scritto:
> Il Monday 07 July 2008 17:31:00 Francesco Abeni ha scritto:
>> Hi, i have qmail + vpopmail + dovecot + squirrelmail 0.99.14 on Fedora
>> Core 4. Qmail includes its own pop3 server, and everybody is able to
>> access it from outside. Dovecot is used only locally by SquirrelMail -
>> so everybody can access via webmail.
>>
>> I'd like to make imap directly available from outside, but only for a
>> few selected domains (NOT ip addresses!), while leaving everyone able to
>> access with pop3 and/or via webmail.
>
> Hi Francesco,
>
> yes it is theoretically possible, but due to some problems this feature of
> vpopmail is not fully compatible with dovecot.
>
> vpopmail via ~vpopmail/bin/vmoduser can set some limit to single users,
> example disble pop3, disable imap, disable imap except for webmail, etc ...
>
> Dovect should move to vpopmail some parameters of the user who logged, as his
> address and local port connection,   but unfortunately these parameters are
> not passed, or at least not be passed as would expect to receive vpopmail,
> in particular for the connections made via imap from remote clients.
> (...)

Alessio, thank you for your very complete answer and evalutation of the
problem. Since you have already set up a test environment, can you do me
a favour and try one more thing?
Specify - in dovecot.conf - the port on which imap should listen to, and
see if it makes any difference to vpopmail.

Thank you again very much for your cooperation.

--
Francesco