[Dovecot] Certificate Server name!

WJCarpenter bill-dovecot at carpenter.org
Sun Jul 6 22:09:06 EEST 2008

> Easy!  Either connect to imap.tib.com instead of mail.tib.com, or
> create and install a new security certificate on the server which is
> for mail.tib.com instead.

Another solution is to obtain and install a wildcard certificate (which
will be good for all *.tib.com).

That's the good news.  The bad news is that the commercial certificate
authorities charge extra for wildcard certificates because they know
they're more valuable to you (and not because it costs them anything
extra in creating them, except maybe lost sales of certificates for
specific names).

BTW, you can get free certificates from http://cacert.org (no
affiliation except as a user), though the first time your users see them
they may have to answer a pop-up about a "funny" certificate.  (My
experience is that most users just click OK and don't give it much
thought.  The ones who do think about it tend to be more sophisticated
anyhow, so they can sort it out rather than just switching off the
computer in a panic and watching TV for the rest of their lives.)