[Dovecot] DBox questions - WAS: Re: Using tags instead of folders?

Wed Jul 2 14:41:14 EEST 2008

On 7/2/2008, Timo Sirainen (tss at iki.fi) wrote:
> You're also concentrating on only maildir format. Yes, there the limit
> is 26 keywords and I don't have plans to improve it. But for example
> with dbox format there is no such limit.

Cool! But three dbox questions:

1. Do you consider dbox to be ready for prime time, in a production
environment?

2. Related to first question - do you foresee any major changes to its
internals, that would result in potentially painful updates in the
future, for anyone desiring to use it in production now?

and

3. Where is documentation on configuration settings? There is nothing on
the wiki under Mailbox location configuration where maildir and mbox are
specifically discussed, I only found one page where it is mentioned
(Mailbox formats), and its own page, but there is nothing about actual
configuration settings.

The only caveat I can surmise is that, since nothing else [currently]
supports dbox format except dovecot, you'd have to use dovecot's LDA -
which is not a problem, actually desirable for index updates, but it
would be good to see some official docs on how to set it [dbox] up
correctly.

Tia Timo,

--

Best regards,