[Dovecot] Override config in deliver command line

dovecot at iotti.biz dovecot at iotti.biz
Mon Aug 25 15:25:38 EEST 2008

Hi all

In dovecot deliver LDA, is there a way to override some configuration
settings for particular users?

Tha full story is: I have a simple postfix/dovecot setup. No virtual users,
delivery is done in /home/mail/%u. For a specific user, I would like to
deliver to a maildir. Since mail_location is not explicitly configured, I
simply created ~/Maildir for that user, relying on the default automatic
mailbox location procedure used by dovecot. But I would like to be able to
override this setting: for example if I wanted to use a name different from
Maildir, this trick would not be sufficient. So it would be nice to have
some way to change mail_location (and why not, other config parameters) only
for particular users (and for me, doing this on the command line would be
good: something like Postfix where you can override config parameters simply
writing the new settings in master.cf on the daemon's command line).
I noticed the -c command line switch, but I would prefer not to have
entirely different configuration files for my users, where a single change
must be manually propagated on all the files.

I use dovecot-1.0.15 on CentOS5.

Maybe this question can be read as a feature request too.

Thanks
Luigi