[Dovecot] Problem with multiple Dovecot Instances

Manuel Maurer lists at mainserver.org
Fri Aug 22 05:14:03 EEST 2008

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 04:50:40 +0300, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-08-22 at 03:45 +0200, Manuel Maurer wrote:
>
>> The folder /var/run/dovecot_main was created at startup, just the
>> login directory not, why?
>
> Because you were using external authentication.
But why do the logfiles say this directory is missing? As far as i
understood the Login-Process, every imap-login and pop3-login process
is chrooted inside the login folder until the user is authentificated.
In this case it would be necessary to have this folder. When i create
it by hand it is missing the authentification socket. Is this the
socket "default", normally located inside the login folder? If so,
why is this also not created?

>> At the moment i got it up and running by using an own auth-process
>> for every dovecot instance. But i would prefer authentification via
>> one single process.
>
> I didn't notice this in your previous settings. Unfortunately it doesn't
> work like that currently, because Dovecots get confused as to who owns
> which auth connection.
Sorry, i misspresented this. I am not using this configuration when i try
set up the single auth-process. Just recognized that it is also possible to
run dovecot in that way. But that's not what i want. The configuration i
posted the very first time is that what i use (now with chroot and
login_dir
set to default).
If i absolutely do not get it running with single auth, i would use
an auth-server for every dovecot instance.

Manuel