[Dovecot] Simplest (static?) build & config for loopback access?

fz.2003 at klacto.net fz.2003 at klacto.net
Mon Aug 18 10:10:17 EEST 2008

Steffen Kaiser wrote:

>>  --enable-static[=PKGS]  build static libraries [default=yes]
>
> This will just build static _libraries_, I guess; there is no configure
> switch for static application.

You're right; I've since remembered that the Mac has an analog of ldd
(otool -L), which confirms that everything is linked dynamically:

mini:~/sw fz$ otool -L \
 > lib/dovecot/*.so \
 > lib/dovecot/*/*.so \
 > libexec/dovecot/* \
 > sbin/dovecot* \
 > | sort | uniq
         /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0,
current version 88.1.5)
         /usr/lib/libbz2.1.0.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current
version 1.0.2)
         /usr/lib/libcrypto.0.9.7.dylib (compatibility version 0.9.7,
current version 0.9.7)
         /usr/lib/libiconv.2.dylib (compatibility version 5.0.0, current
version 5.0.0)
         /usr/lib/libpam.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current
version 1.0.0)
         /usr/lib/libssl.0.9.7.dylib (compatibility version 0.9.7,
current version 0.9.7)
         /usr/lib/libz.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current
version 1.2.3)

If I'm reading the libtool man page correctly, this should remain binary
compatible on any system where the libraries have higher 'compatibility
version' numbers. Which seems to be the case going from OS X 10.4 to
10.5 -- running otool -L on the latter gives the same numbers as above
except

         /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0,
current version 111.0.0)
         /usr/lib/libbz2.1.0.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current
version 1.0.4)
         /usr/lib/libiconv.2.dylib (compatibility version 7.0.0, current
version 7.0.0)

I hope my understanding here is correct; else I'll try your suggestion
below, for which I'm grateful. (For my use as I described it, I guess I
could in fact build '-without' most of these libraries...?) Thanks,

Francois Z.