[Dovecot] POP3 dictionary attacks

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI eduardo at kalinowski.com.br
Sat Aug 16 00:43:30 EEST 2008

Charles Marcus wrote:
> Dictionary attacks are a fact of life these days.
>
> Just install some kind of blocking on your firewall (fail2ban is a good
> one), and let it take care of the worst of it..

I wonder what  they want by cracking a POP3 server. Read the user's
mails? It's true POP3 passwords are almost always equal to SMTP ones
(which is useful for spamming), but then why not try to crack the SMTP
server directly?

--
The bomb will never go off.  I speak as an expert in explosives.
		-- Admiral William Leahy, U.S. Atomic Bomb Project

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo at kalinowski.com.br
http://move.to/hpkb