[Dovecot] Migrating mbox to maildir

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Thu Aug 7 06:06:49 EEST 2008

On Wednesday, August 06, 2008 10:18 PM -0400 Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi>
wrote:

> So I guess you're using mbox? There it's safe to delete everything. If
> you're using maildir you should keep dovecot-uidlist and dovecot-keywords.

I'm in the process of getting my head around the least painful path to
convert everything to maildir, given the headaches mbox is giving me here.

It looks like I can leave mail_location unset, and use a basic namespace to
force the separator to be the same as for mbox:

namespace private {
   separator = /
   inbox = yes
}

procmail is used as the LDA on CentOS so I then need to change procmailrc
to direct incoming mail to Maildir, presumably by adding:

MAILDIR=$HOME/Maildir
DEFAULT=$MAILDIR/

It looks like I can do this on a per-user basis by putting that in a user's
.procmailrc until I migrate everybody.