[Dovecot] Webmail app ... again.

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Wed Aug 13 23:59:17 EEST 2008

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Aug 13, 2008, at 4:05 PM, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
>
>> What I'm looking for is a good reference, besides the RFC, on IMAP.
>> Anything out there?  Electronic or dead-tree is fine. (A book of
>> Dovecot would be neat too.)
>
> I wrote this a while ago: http://imapwiki.org/ClientImplementation

WOW!  Thanks.  I will use it.  It is interesting to see this from the
server view point.

> One thing that would be nice, that pretty much no webmail does, is to
> keep a stateful connection open all the time (or at least some of the
> time) instead of creating tons of short-lived connections that ask the
> same stuff over and over again. With a stateful connection you could
> basically run IDLE and wait for changes there instead of asking all the
> time "is there new mail?" "is there new mail now?" "what about now?".

I've seen several messages on the list that seem to indicate some
clients don't maintain the connection.  It will be interesting to see
what the implications of this.  Not sure if it can be done from a HTTP
connection as it is suppose to be stateless.

Again thanks.

Rod