[Dovecot] Cyrus vs Dovecot

Proskurin Kirill k.proskurin at fxclub.org
Mon Aug 11 10:14:31 EEST 2008

Mathieu Kretchner wrote:
> First of all : forgive me for my poor English
>
> Hello all,
>
> I've to compare cyrus with dovecot for my work. Because these are the
> only solutions that could fit our needs.
> Unfortunately I really don't know a lot about dovecot and I would like
> to have some of its assets.

> So I know this can scared you, but If you have some asset for dovecot,
> It could be great and a lot more FAIR !!
>
> Thank you in advance for your advice.

Hello, sorry for my english too.

Im start migration from Cyrus to Dovecot not far ago. Im have only 500
maildirs, but...

For now im can say what Dovecot is faster in IMAP. Im use my maildir
with 40000 emails with many many subfolders - it is much faster.

Security:
http://dovecot.org/security.html

Migration:
http://wiki.dovecot.org/Migration

And so on. Many answers to your questions on dovecot.org.

In this list someone post his load average grafs on *really* heavy load
servers. Search it.

Only thing what dovecot is not supported against Cyrus is replication,
but it is planed on roadmap.

P.S. Im start to hate cyrus then this happened and happened again with
no answer from developers:
http://lists.andrew.cmu.edu/pipermail/info-cyrus/2007-November/027889.html

And this:
http://lists.andrew.cmu.edu/pipermail/info-cyrus/2008-May/029163.html

P.P.S. Dovecot is really on heavy development and seems to be best IMAP
daemon on opensource now. And Timo help a lot for many people in this
list.

--
Best regards,
Proskurin Kirill