[Dovecot] assertion failed: (mailbox_list_is_valid_existing_name(_list, name))

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Oct 21 20:27:36 EEST 2007

On Sun, 2007-10-21 at 13:09 -0400, Adam McDougall wrote:
> When I was initially testing dovecot 1.1b2,3 I had ACLs turned on and encountered
> this problem below.  I had them turned off until now, I'll need to have ACLs working
> before I can widen testing.  I'm not sure how to make "env MAIL=maildir:~/Maildir gdb
> /tmp/imap" load the ACL plugin so I assume that is why it does not crash;

MAIL=~/Maildir MAIL_PLUGINS=acl ACL=vfile gdb imap

"Running environment" in http://wiki.dovecot.org/PostLoginScripting
explains a bit more.

> Oct 21 12:57:20 gribble dovecot: IMAP(mcdouga9): file mailbox-list-maildir.c: line 186
> (maildir_list_get_path): assertion failed: (mailbox_list_is_valid_existing_name(_list,
> name))

I'm not exactly sure how this happens. I tried a few ways to reproduce
it, but it didn't crash. Once you get it working with gdb, could you do
"p name"?

Or you should be able to gdb the core dump as well if you run it with
"dovecot --exec-mail imap". Just make sure you do ulimit -c unlimited
first. The core should get written to home dir.