[Dovecot] Quota handling - opportunity for new Feature?

Wed May 23 13:52:32 EEST 2007

On 5/22/2007 Charles Marcus (CMarcus at Media-Brokers.com) wrote:
> Now, obviously, this would all have to be configurable (I'm guessing
> this would all live in the Quota Plugin - or maybe it would be an
> alternate Quota plugin) - off by default, etc...

Also, let me be clear... I am not the 'sys admin from hell'... what I am
talking about are corporate situations where corporate policy *requires*
quotas, and requires that they be enforced.

Personally I don't like quotas - but, I do understand the reasons for
them. I have one client that has users who regularly email themselves
25+MB messages with pictures of their kids, new house, dog licking
himself - and end up with 5+GB of email, most of which is crap like
this. Multiply this user times 50, or 100, or 1000 - and backups become
really unwieldy, just so Jim can keep 5GB of pictures of his dog in his
email.

So, of *course* you would have rules in place to deal with the genuine
situation where someone needs more storage, and you allow for this.

But, if this FR were implemented (or even implementable), at least the
users would have consistent, meaningful instructions that are
automatically provided if/when they go over quota. Your over-quota
status message could also inform them of the procedure for requesting
additional storage.

--

Best regards,

Charles