[Dovecot] troubleshooting new dovecot installation

Ray ray at stilltech.net
Tue May 8 23:01:02 EEST 2007

On Tuesday 08 May 2007 1:28 pm, Kyle Wheeler wrote:
> On Tuesday, May  8 at 08:02 AM, quoth Ray:
> >It seems like your right, as this command does work when I use port
> >143, but the following is a direct copy and paste from
> >http://wiki.dovecot.org/TestPop3Installation
> >
> ># telnet your.host.org 110
> >1 login username password
>
> Ummm... maybe it's changed since you saw it, but that's not what I see
> on that page.

It looks like I owe Joseba Torre an apology. I thought he was complaining
about me, but it looks like he was complaining about an error in the docs
which he or someone else has since fixed.

> The POP3 protocol (according to RFC 1939) supports only two forms of
> authentication: APOP and the USER/PASS mechanism (like you have
> below).
>
> ># telnet localhost 110
> >user username
> >pass password
> >
> >So, I guess the next question becomes how come I can use
>
> [that]
>
> >properly from any host, but a real client reports connection refused.
> >(kmail is the main one I've been using)
>
> That's an excellent question. How do you have kmail configured? Can
> you use a packetsniffer to snoop on its conversation with the server?
>
> ~Kyle

I have learned a little more since then, and it is probably a postfix error. I
posted a full description to the postfix list, but I'll give a summary here,
just in case. I'm not sure what has changed, but for whatever reason I can
now send/receive/and relay through kmail but I can only receive, and send to
a known account through outlook express. the logs seem to indicate that OE
isn't even trying to authenticate.
Ray