[Dovecot] Moving new email from the mail spool to the inbox

Chris Wakelin c.d.wakelin at reading.ac.uk
Fri May 4 19:59:51 EEST 2007

I guess you're delivering mail to /var/mail/username, and UW-IMAP
"snarfs" (to use the UW term :))  the messages to ~/mbox (if it exists)
whenever the user opens INBOX in IMAP.

If so, I guess the problem is the Unix file-system clients which expect
to see mail in /var/mail/username? Dovecot can do both IMAP and POP very
well, (and you can specify the mail location for each user independently
if you have to).

You could configure Exim to deliver directly to the user's ~/mbox if,
say, /var/mail/username is empty and ~/mbox exists, and assume that
file-system clients will never have a ~/mbox or let /var/mail/username
be empty. A bit yucky though!

It might also be possible to write a Dovecot plugin to emulate the
UW-IMAP "snarf" behaviour, but as far as I know, nobody has.

We never used the "snarf" behaviour ourselves (except accidentally, when
the new version of UW-IMAP I'd compiled had it built in by default,
unnoticed by me, and a few ancient users had ~/mbox files ...)

I have to say that our UW-IMAP -> Dovecot transition was painless
(transparent!) and that the performance gains were huge (otherwise we'd
still be "pruning" user's INBOXes into folders for them every few months).

Best Wishes,
Chris

--
Christopher Wakelin,                           c.d.wakelin at reading.ac.uk
IT Services Centre, The University of Reading,  Tel: +44 (0)118 378 8439
Whiteknights, Reading, RG6 2AF, UK              Fax: +44 (0)118 975 3094