[Dovecot] mbox vs maildir

Jesse C. Smillie jsmillie at gatewayk12.org
Fri Jun 29 20:56:47 EEST 2007

Wow this is weird because I'm about to make this same jump next week!

 From what I'm reading so far the big draw back with mbox is the single
file with all the emails in it.  When you delete a message from that
file the whole file has to be rewritten without that email in it.  If
the box is big enough that can be a serious drag on the server.  We have
been using Dovecot here all school year for Imap & Pop3 with the Mbox
format and when two or more people delete at the same time the
utilization on my 3ware card shoots up.  We bought the BBU unit for the
3ware so I could enable WRITE cache and that has helped tremendously.

I thought this study in regards to speed was quite interesting:
 http://www.courier-mta.org/mbox-vs-maildir/
<http://www.courier-mta.org/mbox-vs-maildir/>

So far my testing conversion process has gone really well.  I am
surprised how easy it was to tell procmail to do MailDir instead and
even the conversion process was super easy.  For converting the old
inbox and folders I am using the tool  mb2md.pl from
http://batleth.sapienti-sat.org/projects/mb2md/

I was having a really hard time figuring all of this out until I ran
into this webpage:
http://adam.rosi-kessel.org/weblog/2007/04/18/adams-super-simple-guide-to-mbox-maildir-conversion/

I know through namespaces you can do inbox in one type and other boxes
in another type.  I was initially thinking about doing all new stuff in
maildir and still support the old ~/mail format.  The setup seemed easy
enough, but I figured in the long run I am shutting down the server for
a few hours to do this so I mis well go all the way.

The only thing I'm not sure of is what the best file system to keep this
on.  I have been keeping my home directories on ReiserFS for quite a
while, but one of our tech thinks XFS would be good.  All data I have
right now tells me to stay ReiserFS though.  Even Dovecot's own page
says XFS may not be a wise choice.

Hope some of this stuff helps you.  My server BTW is:
Slackware Slamd64 11 (Added Kerberos, Dovecot, etc after the fact)
Dual AMD Opteron 242s
4 Gigs RAM
800 Gig RAID 5 3G SATA array
ReiserFS on /home /var/spool/mail

-Jesse C. Smillie

"Insert inspirational or witty comment here...."