[Dovecot] pop3 connections hanging

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Tue Jul 31 18:14:47 EEST 2007

Arjun Datta spake the following on 7/31/2007 7:28 AM:
> Hi,
>
> dovecot --version
> 1.0.beta8
>
> dovecot -n
> login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
> login_executable(default): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
> login_executable(imap): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
> login_executable(pop3): /usr/libexec/dovecot/pop3-login
> mail_executable(default): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap
> mail_executable(imap): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap
> mail_executable(pop3): /usr/libexec/dovecot/pop3
> mail_plugin_dir(default): /usr/lib/dovecot/imap
> mail_plugin_dir(imap): /usr/lib/dovecot/imap
> mail_plugin_dir(pop3): /usr/lib/dovecot/pop3
> auth default:
>   passdb:
>     driver: pam
>   userdb:
>     driver: passwd
>
> It is running with sendmail-8.13.5-3 on FC5 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5
>
> I find that occasionally a pop3 connection will just sit there for hours on
> end.  It will not release the lock on the user mailbox and so mail to that
> user cannot be delivered.  As a result the mailq backs up mostly with mail
> to that user.  Closing the MUA does not help.  I have to kill -9 PID the
> process to clear the hung connection. This happens with both Outlook and
> Thunderbird.
>
> Is there an option in the dovecot configuration that I can set to
> automatically close connections after say 30 minutes ?
>
> In the workaround section it says that it will close connections from
> Outlook & Outlook Express after 30 minutes dues to an IDLE bug in those 2.
>
> Regards,
>
> Arjun Datta

The usual answer you will get is to upgrade to at least 1.0.0 stable, since
older versions don't get any support. 1.0.0 has options for helping Outlook
and others that don't behave well in idle.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and