[Dovecot] pop3 connections hanging

Arjun Datta arjun at greatgulfhomes.com
Tue Jul 31 17:28:35 EEST 2007

Hi,

dovecot --version
1.0.beta8

dovecot -n
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable(default): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
login_executable(imap): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
login_executable(pop3): /usr/libexec/dovecot/pop3-login
mail_executable(default): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap
mail_executable(imap): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap
mail_executable(pop3): /usr/libexec/dovecot/pop3
mail_plugin_dir(default): /usr/lib/dovecot/imap
mail_plugin_dir(imap): /usr/lib/dovecot/imap
mail_plugin_dir(pop3): /usr/lib/dovecot/pop3
auth default:
  passdb:
    driver: pam
  userdb:
    driver: passwd

It is running with sendmail-8.13.5-3 on FC5 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5

I find that occasionally a pop3 connection will just sit there for hours on
end.  It will not release the lock on the user mailbox and so mail to that
user cannot be delivered.  As a result the mailq backs up mostly with mail
to that user.  Closing the MUA does not help.  I have to kill -9 PID the
process to clear the hung connection. This happens with both Outlook and
Thunderbird.

Is there an option in the dovecot configuration that I can set to
automatically close connections after say 30 minutes ?

In the workaround section it says that it will close connections from
Outlook & Outlook Express after 30 minutes dues to an IDLE bug in those 2.

Regards,

Arjun Datta