[Dovecot] Allowing tilde at start of mailbox names

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Jul 25 17:10:25 EEST 2007

On 25.7.2007, at 16.35, pod wrote:

> In lib-storage/index/maildir/maildir-storage.c
> maildir_is_valid_create_name() and maildir_is_valid_existing_name()
> the
> following sequence of tests appear but I don't really understand why

It's mostly there just to make sure that ~/ or ~user/ can't be used
to open mailboxes where you weren't supposed to have access to. I
didn't think anyone would really want to have mailboxes beginning
with ~. Do you really want them? (I don't think they were possible
with UW-IMAP either?)

> Why is it not possible to have mailbox names that begin with '~' but
> without '~' carrying any special meaning?

That's what the code does if you don't have
mail_full_filesystem_access=yes, but I thought I'd prevent this in
=no case just in case of a bug somewhere, possibly even outside of
Dovecot itself.

> I have been working on a patch (appended but incomplete; the option
> only
> works against maildir atm) that adds a new option mail_allow_tilde
> and my
> admittedly limited testing seems to indicate that it does the right
> thing
> but maybe I am barking up the wrong tree.  Am I missing something
> here?

There are too many settings already. mail_full_filesystem_access=no
should be enough for this.