[Dovecot] Sieve server in python

Jonathan Stewart jonathan at kc8onw.net
Sun Jul 22 01:03:46 EEST 2007

Sam Przyswa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm testing Dovecot to migrate from my old Courier IMAP/POP server. It
> work fine but I have some problems to start the sieve server "pysieved"
> from Neale Pickett in PAM auth, I got the message:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "/usr/share/pysieved/pysieved.py", line 97, in <module>
>    main()
>  File "/usr/share/pysieved/pysieved.py", line 60, in main
>    None, None, True)
>  File "/usr/share/pysieved/auth/pam.py", line 22, in <module>
>    import PAM
> ImportError: No module named PAM
>
> What's wrong ?

I presume your on a BSD system?  If so it's your lucky day ;) I just
worked on this the other day.  I wound up having to give up on PAM
because the PAM module the author used uses Linux specific add-ons to
PAM and won't work on BSD.  I'm already using Dovecot SASL for postfix
so I just pointed pysieved at the same socket postfix uses and told it
to use dovecot for auth and storage and passwd for userdb.  If you do
this though there are a couple of patches to apply as well.
http://woozle.org/list-archives/pysieved/msg00057.html

If this is for a FreeBSD system I was considering wrapping it up into an
actual port and submitting it, if you would use it I might actually get
around to doing it.

Hope this helps,
Jonathan