[Dovecot] v1.1.alpha1 released / Dovecot 5 years old

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Jul 20 18:08:32 EEST 2007

On Thu, 2007-07-19 at 06:37 +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> So, the largest changes I've added to NEWS file (which BTW won't contain
> changes between alphas/betas/rcs, those will be only in my mailing list
> posts):

	+ SEARCH and SORT finally compare all characters case-insensitively.
	  We use i;unicode-casemap algorithm.

Is in hg now. Also works with Sieve plugin's matching. I've only been
wanting to implement this for last 5 years.

BTW. Dovecot is about 5 years old now. I'm not exactly sure what
Dovecot's birthday should be. The oldest news items in
http://dovecot.org/oldnews.html are:

"""
Sat Jul 27 18:14:36 EEST 2002

Second developers release, user authentication actually works now. At
least with shadow files, not sure about PAM.

Wed Jul 24 11:13:20 EEST 2002

I think I figured out an ideal solution for the authentication problems.
See design.txt, all comments welcome. Updated other parts of it as well.
"""

Jun 11 I had the thought about writing my own imapd. Jun 15 apparently I
began coding it.

Jul 24 was also the day I decided to use Dovecot name. It was suggested
to me around Jul 18. I'm pretty bad at naming things myself:

16.06.2002 01:52 <cras> oh - i need a name :) simapd was the only thing
i could come up with
16.06.2002 01:53 <cras> first timapd for tiny, but i don't think it will
be that tiny..

(s=secure in simapd)

oldnews.html has also some funny stuff:

Sun Nov 24 19:39:31 EET 2002

0.99.0 released. All the major features planned for 1.0 are done now.