[Dovecot] sluggish updating of gnome mail-notification?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Jul 19 23:50:05 EEST 2007

On 19.7.2007, at 19.58, Greg Troxel wrote:

> Gnus fixed a bug in the last few months where exiting a group didn't
> unselect the folder and thus didn't necessarily push read marks back.

"push read marks back"? With mboxes the message flags aren't written
to mbox file until CHECK, EXPUNGE, UNSELECT, SELECT or LOGOUT
command, but as long as you're using Dovecot's index files other
Dovecot instances will see the changes immediately. Or are you saying
that Gnus doesn't send flag changes to server at all before it
unselects the mailbox?

> I just tried this and thunderbird was also slow in showing the mail
> read.  marking the message read in thunderbird caused mail-
> notification
> to show the message as read, but with a 30s lag.
>
> mail-notification is supposed to use IDLE if available.  Sometimes it
> withdraws new-mail claims at the right time.

This setting controls how often Dovecot checks for changes:

#mailbox_idle_check_interval = 30

With Maildir you should be able to notice the changes immediately if
you compiled with --with-notify=kqueue. It should actually work with
mboxes too, except there's an extra check that prevents it from working:

src/lib/ioloop-notify-kqueue.c:

         if (fstat(fd, &sb) < 0) {
                 i_error("fstat(%d, %s) for kq notify failed: %m",
fd, path);
                 (void)close(fd);
                 return NULL;
         }
         if (!S_ISDIR(sb.st_mode)) {
                 (void)close(fd);
                 return NULL;
         }

Removing all this code would help. I guess I should do that change to
v1.0.3 too.