[Dovecot] sluggish updating of gnome mail-notification?

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Thu Jul 19 19:58:00 EEST 2007

Sorry if this is a repeat query.

I am running dovecot 1.0.2 under NetBSD/i386 (3.1 and 4.0ish).  I use
maildirs, and deliver into them with procmail.  For clients I use Gnus
(CVS head) mostly and thunderbird, and also the gnome mail-notification
status applet (4.0).

Gnus fixed a bug in the last few months where exiting a group didn't
unselect the folder and thus didn't necessarily push read marks back.

Mostly everything works perfectly.  When new mail arrives, thunderbird
shows it as new/unread, gnus will find it with 'g', and
mail-notification shows it as well.  After reading it in gnus, when I
exit the group (which pushes read marks to the IMAP server), thunderbird
usually shows the message as read immediately, but often
mail-notification waits for a while (up to about a minute) before
withdrawing the new-mail notification.

I just tried this and thunderbird was also slow in showing the mail
read.  marking the message read in thunderbird caused mail-notification
to show the message as read, but with a 30s lag.

mail-notification is supposed to use IDLE if available.  Sometimes it
withdraws new-mail claims at the right time.

I know that I need to turn on debugging and trace all this.  So I'm
really just asking if anyone else has seen this or similar behavior.