[Dovecot] avoiding getting maildir cur/ folder contents?

Kyle Wheeler kyle-dovecot at memoryhole.net
Thu Jul 19 00:37:34 EEST 2007

On Wednesday, July 18 at 06:03 PM, quoth Johannes Berg:
> On my server with many mails in one folder and slow IO, getting the
> mail listing in the cur/ folder is becoming a serious bottleneck.
> Dovecot is the only thing accessing the mail folders, so would there
> be any way to avoid getting a listing all the time?

I don't suppose improving your IO is an option? I find turning on
dir_hashing in ext3, and mounting my maildirs with noatime, both
significantly improve my performance without requiring me to buy new
hardware.

~Kyle
--
The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well, on the
surface of a gas-covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90