[Dovecot] avoiding getting maildir cur/ folder contents?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Jul 18 23:45:24 EEST 2007

On 18.7.2007, at 19.03, Johannes Berg wrote:

> On my server with many mails in one folder and slow IO, getting the
> mail
> listing in the cur/ folder is becoming a serious bottleneck.
> Dovecot is
> the only thing accessing the mail folders, so would there be any
> way to
> avoid getting a listing all the time?

Well, there are two things:

1) Remove all dirty states from the code, so if Dovecot changes cur/
it doesn't later try to re-sync the maildir just in case someone else
had changed it. I actually thought about doing this and adding a
maildir_dirty_syncs setting, but then I thought if people want
performance they'll use dbox. :) (Or you could even remove timestamp
comparing completely to make sure it never reads cur/)

2) If you want to avoid readdir() completely, then dovecot-uidlist
file needs to be rewritten each time a flag is changed so it would
always contain up-to-date filenames. That would make it do more writes.