[Dovecot] A little OT but hopefully still related enough... Maildir Delivered mail naming problems.

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Jul 17 22:45:45 EEST 2007

On Tue, 2007-07-17 at 15:00 -0400, Jesse C. Smillie wrote:
> I have migrated from mbox format to Maildir format in the last week. I
> used the utility mb2md.pl to convert all of our existing emails from one
> system to the next. I then modified my /etc/procmailrc file by putting
> this at the top:
> MAILDIR=$HOME/Maildir
> DEFAULT=$MAILDIR/

Looks OK.

> So now to my problem. We also use Usermin for our users to access their
> email when they don't have a supported client available to them. When

I've no idea about Usermin.

> However, all the email that is delivered after the fact is different.
> They all look like this:
> _oTH.XqwlGB.gator:2,RS
> _p2F.qjVlGB.gator:2,RS

It's not in a standard maildir format. Maybe Procmail has changed it
recently? Maybe it's configurable? Maybe you should just get rid of
Procmail? :)

> For the most part I'm being told that the reason why
> Usermin's sort is all screwed up (order wise) in IMAP mode is that
> messages are displayed in the order that the IMAP server reports them.
> Like wise in Maildir mode the order which they are read.  I can
> understand why this naming stuff throws everything off at this point.

When Dovecot sees new messages in maildir it sorts the new messages by
their filename and assigns UIDs in that order. Existing messages aren't
ever reordered however. So if Dovecot sees these kind of new messages
one at a time, there's no problem. But if it sees two of them, then
those two might be in wrong order.