[Dovecot] deleting maildir files

John Peacock jpeacock at rowman.com
Tue Jul 17 21:41:24 EEST 2007

Charles Marcus wrote:
> Hmmm... but will that take care of /tmp as well? Don't forget, this is a
> different system that is still served by courier - but happily I've been
> given a gree light to start planning their migration to dovecot...

Don't forget that files exist in tmp only while they are being written
to disk (and then they are mv'd directly to new).  It is _never_ a
problem to delete everything under cur.  You don't even need to blow
away the directory itself, just the files contained within ./cur...

If you want to be really paranoid, just make sure that the client is not
accessing the mailbox at the time.

> And when I click on the Trash folder in Thunderbird, it just goes into
> never-never land...

Just upgrading to Dovecot might fix that; also make sure you are using
the latest TBird 2.x release (there were some known timeout issues fixed
after the 1.5.x series).

John

--
John Peacock