[Dovecot] deleting maildir files

Tue Jul 17 14:42:58 EEST 2007

>> Can we delete maildir files directly from the file system?

> Yes.

Does this also go for special folders inside a maildir? Like, for
example, the .Trash folder? I have a user who was trying to delete about
30,000 messages from a folder, and when he did this, TBird went into
never-never land, and now every time he clicks on the Trash folder in
TBird, it goes into never-never land again. I have already deleted the
local cache files from his TBird profile, so there is something wrong on
the server side.

I don't have much experience manually manipulating maildirs, so would
appreciate comments...

What I was going to do was first delete the folder:

rm -ri /var/virtual/domain.com/maildir/.Trash

then once it is all gone, do:

maildirmake -f Trash /var/virtual/domain.com/maildir

By the way, if it matters, this server is still running Courier I'm
sorry to say, but I think they're ready to let me migrate them to
dovecot now that it has reached 'stable' status.

--

Best regards,

Charles