[Dovecot] INBOX empty

Steffen Kaiser skdovecot at smail.inf.fh-bonn-rhein-sieg.de
Sun Jul 15 15:10:39 EEST 2007

Mohamed Navas wrote:
> We have been using the mail server with postfix and dovecot IMAP. This is
> the second time we are facing the problem of inbox of some users are
> completely empty.
>
> Pls advice anyway to recover

Let the user use the client s/he was using just moment the messages
disappeared.

and to rectify the problem for such threat in
> future.

Disable POP3. ;-)

Anyway, to identify such problems I recommend using the mail_log plugin.
It uses resources (slows down server, consumes logging space), but you
can see _when_ the INBOX got empty and I will bet that most of the time
the last access was via POP3. It might happen that an user
unintentionally delete the INBOX, which is automatically recreated later.

Bye,

--
Steffen