[Dovecot] How to stop POP clients from downloading mail after directory corruption

Steffen Kaiser skdovecot at smail.inf.fh-bonn-rhein-sieg.de
Sun Jul 15 15:01:56 EEST 2007

Frank Church wrote:
> Transferring my email from a Courier server, as well as some
> corruption in my dovecot installation caused all POP mails to be
> downloaded again.

I don't believe that the missing uid-list file is the cause, as it is
used for IMAP only. POP3 UIDs are dynamic, I think.

Check if you use the same POP UID format for both servers, e.g. (don't
use quotes for name or password):

telnet oldserver pop3
user XYZ
pass ABC
uidl

telnet dovecot pop3
user XYZ
pass ABC
uidl

Then compare the output of both lists. It gave me the kick to choose the
correct setting for the pop3_uidl_format setting.

Bye,
--
Steffen