[Dovecot] Monitoring Recomendations

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Jul 13 02:12:33 EEST 2007

On Fri, 2007-06-29 at 10:45 -0700, Dehnert James Sr wrote:
> I believe that Dovecot is running just fine, but I need some metrics
> to prove that to the users.

You could for example patch rawlog to log timestamps before each
input/output packet so you can see how long it takes for Dovecot to
reply to commands. If most of the time is spent waiting for incoming
commands then the problem isn't with Dovecot.

Attached a patch (untested though), and
http://dovecot.org/bugreport.html#sniffing explains how to enable
rawlog.

If the problem isn't with Dovecot, maybe your users have some software
firewall on the way that slows everything down.