[Dovecot] target doesn't allow inferior mailboxes

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Wed Jul 11 18:50:45 EEST 2007

Adam Williams spake the following on 7/11/2007 8:45 AM:
> Using Seamonkey as my email client, and IMAP to check mail.  If I create
> a new IMAP folder, and then delete it, I get the error:
>
> The current command did not succeed. The mail server responded: Target
> mailbox doesn't allow inferior mailboxes.
>
> Tried a google search, didn't really come up with anything.  I have rw
> permissions on /home/awilliam/Mail/* and delete the files fine using rm
> -rf /home/awilliam/Mail/whatever and editing the folder out of
> .subscriptions.  Any ideas?
>
> [root at roark ~]# dovecot --version
> 1.0.1
> [root at roark ~]# dovecot -n
> # 1.0.1: /etc/dovecot.conf
> login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
> login_executable(default): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
> login_executable(imap): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
> login_executable(pop3): /usr/libexec/dovecot/pop3-login
> mail_location: mbox:~/Mail/:INBOX=/var/spool/mail/%u
> mail_executable(default): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap
> mail_executable(imap): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap
> mail_executable(pop3): /usr/libexec/dovecot/pop3
> mail_plugin_dir(default): /usr/lib/dovecot/imap
> mail_plugin_dir(imap): /usr/lib/dovecot/imap
> mail_plugin_dir(pop3): /usr/lib/dovecot/pop3
> auth default:
>  passdb:
>    driver: pam
>  userdb:
>    driver: passwd

Your MUA is trying to delete the mailbox by moving it to the trash folder. But
if you are using mbox, you can't do that, because the trash folder is also
mbox so it errors out. Thunderbird does the same thing if told to delete to
the server side trash.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and