[Dovecot] Quota Messages

Hermann wacker hugendubel at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 10:41:16 EEST 2007

Hi @all,

First: I'm sorry when my english isn't understandable, please just ask
if I messed things up.

I switched from Cyrus to Dovecot (Cyrus was on Debian Sarge, Dovecot
is now on a Etch) and I'm quite happy with it. There is just one thing
that I'm missing in Dovecot. in Cyrus when users reached 90% of their
Quota, a message popped up in their Mailclients, telling them to clean
up their Mailboxes. Dovecot delivers the quotausage to the Client (I
can see in my Thunderbird a small Statusbar), but when you don't look
carefully, you will mostly miss the point where you can delete the
messages without having a fight with the quotalimit (because mails in
trash using the quota).
At the moment I'm using "quota = fs" so there is no good way to keep
the trash out of the quotathing and that's not the point of my
question.
The question is: Is there a way where Dovecot (or Postfix) inform the
user that his quota is reaching its limit? Or maybe the postmaster,
thats not important. The important thing is a way where my mailsystem
tells somebody that quotas are reaching their limits.

Greetings from Germany
 Hermann Wacker

Dovecot Version: 1.0.rc15
Postfix Version: 2.3.8-2+b1

quotaconf:
# /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
IEffective uid=65534, gid=65534
ILoading modules from directory: /usr/lib/dovecot/modules/imap
IModule loaded: /usr/lib/dovecot/modules/imap/lib01_quota_plugin.so
IModule loaded: /usr/lib/dovecot/modules/imap/lib02_imap_quota_plugin.so
log_timestamp: %Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S
protocols: imap imaps pop3 pop3s
disable_plaintext_auth: no
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable(default): /usr/lib/dovecot/imap-login
login_executable(imap): /usr/lib/dovecot/imap-login
login_executable(pop3): /usr/lib/dovecot/pop3-login
mail_extra_groups: mail
mail_location: maildir:%h/mails
mail_debug: yes
mail_executable(default): /usr/lib/dovecot/imap
mail_executable(imap): /usr/lib/dovecot/imap
mail_executable(pop3): /usr/lib/dovecot/pop3
mail_plugins(default): quota imap_quota
mail_plugins(imap): quota imap_quota
mail_plugins(pop3):
mail_plugin_dir(default): /usr/lib/dovecot/modules/imap
mail_plugin_dir(imap): /usr/lib/dovecot/modules/imap
mail_plugin_dir(pop3): /usr/lib/dovecot/modules/pop3
pop3_uidl_format(default):
pop3_uidl_format(imap):
pop3_uidl_format(pop3): %08Xu%08Xv
auth default: