[Dovecot] problem with subscriptions file version 1.0.1

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Jul 10 07:33:25 EEST 2007

On Fri, 2007-07-06 at 11:49 -0400, Liz wrote:
> The first thing I did was get the configuration file working for
> Maildir. So I know that the problem has nothing to do with the
> configuration file. Next I looked through the actual source code to find
> any place where a dot might be added to the beginning of a folder. It
> transpired that there is a constant, MAILDIR_FS_SEP_S, which is assigned
> the value ".". I deleted all the occurrences of this constant, compiled
> the source code again, and ran into a rather interesting problem.

I hope you noticed also MAILDIR_FS_SEP?

> When I try to create a new folder through Thunderbird on a separate
> machine, the folder is not visible unless I restart Thunderbird. I
> checked on the machine acting as a server and the folder is created and
> the subscriptions file is updated, and the dot at the beginning is
> indeed absent. So I see no reason why this should not work.

First you could try manually the same thing.

Check that all mailboxes really are listed:

1 LIST "" *

Try creating + subscribing:

2 CREATE mailbox
3 SUBSCRIBE mailbox

Check that it's found from subscriptions:

4 LSUB "" *

And might as well check that LIST also finds it:

5 LIST "" *

If none of that showed anything broken, you could check what Thunderbird
and Dovecot talk with each others and see if there's something wrong
with that. For example use rawlog.
http://dovecot.org/bugreport.html#sniffing

Also if you do this, it might be a good idea to change Dovecot's
internal files to begin with a dot so that user is allowed to create
e.g. "dovecot" mailbox.

#define SUBSCRIPTION_FILE_NAME "subscriptions"
#define MAILDIR_INDEX_PREFIX "dovecot.index"

You should also check that deleting mailboxes works right. There's this:

#define MAILDIR_UNLINK_DIRNAME MAILDIR_FS_SEP_S"DOVECOT-TRASHED"

I'm not sure how it works if you delete the separators. If LIST sees
such a directory it goes and deletes it.