[Dovecot] 1.0.1: corrupt index on fresh mailbox, ideas?

Troy Engel tengel at fluid.com
Mon Jul 9 21:45:37 EEST 2007

A new employee started today, when logging into his new mailbox this
morning during a walk-through I got a nasty server error response in
Thunderbird - something I never see, DC runs smooth as butter for us.
Checking the server log I see this:

== snip ==
dovecot: Jul 09 09:38:54 Error: IMAP(xxxxxxx): Maildir
/home/x/xxxxxxx/Maildir sync: UIDVALIDITY changed (1183406107 -> 1183999134)

dovecot: Jul 09 09:39:06 Error: IMAP(xxxxxxx): Corrupted transaction log
file /var/spool/dovecot/indexes/x/xxxxxxx/.INBOX/dovecot.index.log.2:
invalid indexid (1183406107 != 1183999146)

dovecot: Jul 09 09:39:06 Error: IMAP(xxxxxxx): Corrupted index cache
file /var/spool/dovecot/indexes/x/xxxxxxx/.INBOX/dovecot.index.cache:
indexid changed
== snip ==

Some facts that make this a strange occurrence:

1) new IMAP mailbox, only one email was in it that I had sent last week
(boilerplate Welcome email)

2) was working perfectly fine on Friday when I set things up
(Thunderbird and SquirrelMail) and tested with the same client laptop
and same Thunderbird

3) nothing bad happened with the servers over the weekend, all is
tip-top - no restarts, reboots, nothing.

4) DC does use NFS mounted maildirs, but there is only one DC accessing
any maildir - no other servers touch ~/Maildir/. mmap is disabled.

What could be a reason for this index to have gotten corrupted? This is
the first time I've had an index go corrupt out of all the users, so I'd
like to try and track down the cause of this...

thx,
-te

== dovecot -n ==
# 1.0.1: /etc/dovecot.conf
log_path: /var/log/dovecot.log
protocols: imap imaps
listen: *
ssl_cert_file: /opt/SSL/server.pem
ssl_key_file: /opt/SSL/server.pem
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable: /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
login_process_per_connection: no
mail_location: maildir:~/Maildir:INDEX=/var/spool/dovecot/indexes/%1u/%u
mmap_disable: yes
namespace:
   type: private
   separator: .