[Dovecot] dovecot.conf pop3_uidl_format

Peter Eriksson peter at ifm.liu.se
Thu Jul 5 17:49:51 EEST 2007

Ben Winslow wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-07-05 at 13:33 +0200, Peter Eriksson wrote:
>>    # If you want UIDL compatibility with other POP3 servers, use:
>>    #  UW's ipop3d         : %08Xv%08Xu
>>    pop3_uidl_format = %08Xu%08Xv
>
>> Notice the *very* small difference in the format between UW's ipop3d
>> and the ones mentioned a little bit below?
>
> IIRC, the difference is intentional -- I believe the stated reason was
> that the mail UID (%u) is more unique than UIDVALIDITY (%v), so the
> default format has the UID at the beginning just in case the client
> truncates the UIDL.

Drat. I wonder what would happen if I would change my pop3_uidl_format
now again. I guess the POP3 users that have already downloaded their
full INBOX again will be very happy. But perhaps it'll help preventing
some of the BIG INBOX users that haven't already checked their mail
a bit... Hm. I wonder how Eudora will handle this.

- Peter