[Dovecot] Index question

Peter Eriksson peter at ifm.liu.se
Thu Jul 5 17:47:11 EEST 2007

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-07-05 at 08:42 -0400, Stewart Dean wrote:
>> The day I switch our user to dovecot and it goes into production, there
>> will be a few thousand people all generating their indices for the first
>> time (we have a legacy requirement for procmail, at least for now), so I
>> wondered:
>> 1) Is there is anyway to pre-emptively force indexing?
>
> Not in any easy way currently.
> http://dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2007-June/023639.html
>
>> 2) Is there any value in doing so?  That is, will I gain much in terms
>> of making the first time everyone connects to dovecot quicker (not that
>> big initial wait)?
>
> If you could handle UW-IMAP's load, Dovecot's shouldn't be much bigger
> even when building initial indexes.

I think I'll second the original posters request.. I too would really
like to be able to pre-emptively force indexing.

It's not so much the load that's the problem but the users initial
impression with our brand new Dovecot server. A number of them have even
sent in support requests regarding it "The mail server is slow!!!". This
is typically users with many many mails in many folders...

(I've told them that it'll be quicker after it's reindex everything but...)

- Peter