[Dovecot] Index question

David Favor david at davidfavor.com
Thu Jul 5 16:58:10 EEST 2007

Stewart Dean wrote:
> The day I switch our user to dovecot and it goes into production, there
> will be a few thousand people all generating their indices for the first
> time (we have a legacy requirement for procmail, at least for now), so I
> wondered:
> 1) Is there is anyway to pre-emptively force indexing?
> 2) Is there any value in doing so?  That is, will I gain much in terms
> of making the first time everyone connects to dovecot quicker (not that
> big initial wait)?

I'm faced with a similar situation. I use an custom event looped MTA written
in perl. By the time a message is ready to be delivered, it's temp file usually
already resides on the physical disk where it will reside.

At this point delivery is done by:

    1) link current file to new folder

    2) unlink old tempfile name

Using deliver would introduce huge amounts of additional overhead, since the
user is already authenticated, the home directory is known and in fact the file
is already on the disk.

What would be great is a stand alone program which could be run given a directory
list to reindex. This could be run from MTAs or even better hooked up with an
inotify watcher like iwatch, so all directory deliveries are delayed for a few
seconds (to collect multiple directory writes) then reindex when a "dirty" directory
goes quiet for a few seconds.

--
Like feeling your best ever, all day, every day? Here's how...
Your simple secrets are here - http://RadicalHealth.com