[Dovecot] dovecot.conf pop3_uidl_format

Peter Eriksson peter at ifm.liu.se
Thu Jul 5 14:33:05 EEST 2007

 From the Dovecot 1.0.1 sample dovecot.conf file:

   # If you want UIDL compatibility with other POP3 servers, use:
   #  UW's ipop3d         : %08Xv%08Xu
   # Note that Outlook 2003 seems to have problems with %v.%u format
which was
   # Dovecot's default, so if you're building a new server it would be a
good
   # idea to change this. %08Xu%08Xv should be pretty fail-safe.
   #
   # NOTE: Nowadays this is required to be set explicitly, since the old
   # default was bad but it couldn't be changed without breaking existing
   # installations. %08Xu%08Xv will be the new default, so use it for new
   # installations.
   #
   pop3_uidl_format = %08Xu%08Xv

Notice the *very* small difference in the format between UW's ipop3d
and the ones mentioned a little bit below?

I think I just got bitten by this (we moved from UW's ipop3d to
Dovecot). Loooots of users just got a lot of new (old) mail again
("Leave mail on server" is a popular setting). Ah well. They really
should move to IMAP anyway and now they got some summer reading to do
:-)

Is the difference intentional? If so then perhaps this should be more
clearly pointed out!

- Peter