[Dovecot] utime : operation not permitted

Jim Horner jhorner at arinbe.com
Tue Jul 3 20:28:50 EEST 2007

On Tuesday 03 July 2007 13:06:44 you wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-07-03 at 12:24 -0400, Jim Horner wrote:
> > With the upgrade to 1.0.1, I am seeing some errors/warnings
> >
> > dovecot: IMAP(jhorner at arinbe.com):
> > utime(/home/arinbe/Maildir/.resumes.vabch/tmp) failed: Operation not
> > permitted: 1 Time(s)
>
> Are you using SELinux or similar? utime() shouldn't be failing normally.

Yeah I'm having deja vu. I thought I read in the lists you stating utime
shouldn't fail. I couldn't/can't find that post. Regardless, I'm not using
SELinux, not running any script or cron job running against these directories
and just using plain ole ext3. I've been running this setup, Postfix->Deliver
and Dovecot for many many moons now. It wasn't until this last upgrade from
1.0.0 -> 1.0.1 did I start seeing any errors/warning and this error/warning
is so arbitrary. The only thing consistent is /tmp and the COMPANY namespace.

Can I try deleting indexes or something? Just throwing stuff out there. If
utime() doesn't fail normally, what abnormality causes it to fail?

Jim