[Dovecot] Maildir configuration vs ZFS and snapshots...

Peter Eriksson peter at ifm.liu.se
Tue Jul 3 18:22:01 EEST 2007

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-07-03 at 16:20 +0200, Peter Eriksson wrote:
>> This works great for the mail folders inside the Maildir - but not
>> for
>> the INBOX which isn't displayed at all... (Ie, under the "snapshot"
>> prefix I only see "Trash" etc when looking at the folder from an IMAP
>> client).
>
> Try "ln -s . .INBOX". I'll probably fix this for v1.1, but I already
> tried once for v1.0 and it got too messy.

It won't confuse Dovecot (and/or external mail programs accessing the
Maildir directly like procmail and/or a directly accessing Pine for
example)?

<resignated *sigh*>
Oh how easy this had been if the Maildir standard had been sane and used
real directories without dots, in a tree structure for the folder
structure (and used .new/, .cur/ and .tmp/ for the folder data) - then
I could have just put a pointer to "~/.zfs/snapshot" and have had *all*
the snapshots show up under the "snapshot/" namespace more or less
automatically :-).
</>

- Peter