[Dovecot] v1.1 max connections per user

Sun Jul 1 02:11:35 EEST 2007

Timo Sirainen, on 6/30/2007 6:43 PM, said the following:
> v1.1 has now:
>
> # Maximum number of connections allowed for a user. The limits are enforced
> # separately for IMAP and POP3 connections, so you can move this setting
> # inside protocol {} to have separate settings for them. NOTE: The user names
> # are compared case-sensitively, so make sure your userdb returns usernames
> # always using the same casing so users can't bypass this limit!
> #mail_max_user_connections = 10
>
> Is 10 a good default?

I'm assuming this is per IP?

In Courier, there were two settings:

MAXDAEMONS = 40
(total number of IMAP connections the server would accept)
and
MAXPERIP = 4
(number of connections per IP)

The values above were the defaults.

I think it would be a good thing to have both, *and* to allow for
setting the MAXPERIP on both a per user and global basis (if a per user
value is not provided it uses the global default).

Later, adding the ability to set them both on a per domain basis, and
the MAXPERIP on a per domain/user basis would be even better...

> Currently new connections just fail authentication with a "Maximum
> number of connections exceeded" error message. v2.0 hopefully will
> instead disconnect the oldest idling connection with IMAP.

Very sensible - much better than just refusing the connection...

--

Best regards,

Charles