[Dovecot] Is dovecot the right choice for this problem?

Darren McLaughlin darren at mindstreamtech.com
Sun Dec 9 02:40:35 EET 2007

Bill,

Thanks for your detailed explanation.  I apologize for using incorrect terminology, but I am operating a little out of my depth as I have only 2 servers with Verio.  I started with them years ago, as websites are a small part of my consulting, and as email has evolved so have the server issues, and the water has risen a little high for me here lately haha.  Honestly, I was not solid on the terminology until you explained it there.  It sounds like Dovecot may be the way to go on this problem.  They say all I have to do is run a vinstall, and it will take care of everything, and does not require any ongoing maintenance.  Is that realistic, or are there areas I should be checking occassionaly.  Again, I apologize for diving in here and not having followed the RTFM gerneral rule, but I am not a server administrator per say, and am just attempting to get this issue straightened out so I can move on with things that make me some money rather than just burning time.  I appreciate the help that you and Timo have provided.

Darren

RESPONSE TAG: 8483057671202
On 12/8/2007 at 6:17 PM Bill Cole wrote:

>At 11:05 PM -0600 12/7/07, Darren McLaughlin wrote:
>>Bill,
>>
>>There's a ringing endorsement of Verio.
>
>And maybe not quite fair, since your first paraphrasing came across
>as further from reality than the second...
>

>>They told me that the
>>server had a"group mail file" and all the users had their mail
>>stored together.  If I installed Dovecot, they said it would split
>>the mailboxes up into individual files, and reduce the load on teh
>>server, thus allowing it to better handle large mailboxes.  I guess
>>they are just making it up as they go along...  thanks for the info
>>though.  I suppose I will seek an independent email host somewhere
>>and have their mail forwarded, or upgrade my server on verio.
>
>As Timo noted, that sounds a little closer to a common circumstance
>of a mailstore running UW-IMAP or qpopper or ipop3d some other old
>mailstore server that only uses classic mbox files. That's not one
>file for everyone, but one file for all of each user's delivered but
>undeleted mail. That can cause performance problems that are largely
>resistant to simple CPU or memory upgrades, so changing the mailstore
>format to something else like maildir (used by Dovecot and Courier)
>is a better approach. This is particularly a problem if you have
>users with very large collections of mail that they treat as
>permanent on the server but are only accessing via POP through a
>POP-only server.
>
>Incidentally, it is helpful to understand and use the
>terminology/jargon carefully. A "mail queue" usually refers to the
>directories used for very temporary storage of mail on its way in or
>out of a server, while the terms "mailbox," "mailstore," "mail
>spool," and "mail file" usually refer to the place(s) where delivered
>messages sit until the user asks a POP or IMAP server handling those
>mailboxes to delete them. Mail queues are handled by mail transport
>agents, aka "MTA's" like Sendmail or Postfix.
>

>>Thanks,
>>
>>Darren